49 John Lewis Quotes For Leadership And Confidence 2023
Last Updated on: January 1, 2023 by Sonia Allan | Fact Checked
Affiliate disclosure: In full transparency – some of the links on our website are affiliate links, if you use them to make a purchase we will earn a commission at no additional cost for you (none whatsoever!).
As one of the key figures of the Civil Rights Movement, John Robert Lewis has been an outspoken advocate for peace and justice.
His quotes are a testament to his commitment to making the world a better place. In this blog post, we will explore some of Lewis’ most memorable quotes.
We hope that his words will inspire you to take action and make a difference in your community. Thank you for reading!
Table of Contents
49 John Lewis Quotes 2023
1. “We need some creative tension; people crying out for the things they want.” — John Lewis
2. “You must be bold, brave, and courageous and find a way… to get in the way.” — John Lewis
3. “Never become bitter, and in the process, be happy and just go for it.” — John Lewis
4. “Some people have told me that I am a rare bird in the blue sky of dreamers.” — John Lewis
5. “Following the teaching of Gandhi and Thoreau, Dr. King, it set me on a path. And I never looked back.” — John Lewis
6. “Too many people struggled, suffered, and died to make it possible for every American to exercise their right to vote.” — John Lewis
7. “Following the teaching of Gandhi and Thoreau, Dr. King, it set me on a path. And I never looked back.” — John Lewis
8. “The assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. made me very, very sad, and I mourned and I cried like many of our citizens did.” — John Lewis
9. “You must be bold, brave, and courageous and find a way… to get in the way.” — John Lewis
10. “Not one of us can rest, be happy, be at home, be at peace with ourselves until we end hatred and division.” — John Lewis
11. “Darkness cannot overcome darkness, only light can do that. Violence can never overcome violence, only peace can do that. Hate can never overcome hate, only love can do that.” — John Lewis
12. “Get in good trouble, necessary trouble, and help redeem the soul of America.” — John Lewis
13. “It is only through examining history that you become aware of where you stand within the continuum of change.” — John Lewis
14. “It’s a shame and a disgrace that so few people take part in the political process.” — John Lewis
15. “The government, both state and federal, has a duty to be reasonable and accommodating.” — John Lewis
16. “The scars and stains of racism are still deeply embedded in the American society.” — John Lewis
17. “Every generation leaves behind a legacy. What that legacy will be is determined by the people of that generation. What legacy do you want to leave behind?” — John Lewis
18. “Be hopeful. Be optimistic. Never lose that sense of hope.” — John Lewis
19. “Some of us gave a little blood for the right to participate in the democratic process.” — John Lewis
20. “I say to people today, ‘You must be prepared if you believe in something. If you believe in something, you have to go for it. As individuals, we may not live to see the end.” — John Lewis
21. “We may not have chosen the time, but the time has chosen us.” — John Lewis
22. “When you see something that is not right, not fair, not just, you have to speak up. You have to say something; you have to do something.” — John Lewis
23. “Sometimes I hear people saying, ‘Nothing has changed.’ Come and walk in my shoes.” — John Lewis
24. “You are a light. You are the light. Never let anyone—any person or any force—dampen, dim, or diminish your light.” — John Lewis
25. “What I try to tell young people is that if you come together with a mission, and it’s grounded with love and a sense of community, you can make the impossible possible.” — John Lewis
26. “You have to be persistent. Sometimes I feel like crying, tears of joy, to see the distance we’ve come and the progress we’ve made.” — John Lewis
27. “Not one of us can rest, be happy, be at home, be at peace with ourselves, until, we end hatred and division.” — John Lewis
28. “It was not enough to come and listen to a great sermon or message every Sunday morning and be confined to those four walls and those four corners. You had to get out and do something.” — John Lewis
29. “To make it hard, to make it difficult, almost impossible for people to cast a vote is not in keeping with the democratic process.” — John Lewis
30. “Get in good trouble, necessary trouble, and help redeem the soul of America.” — John Lewis
31. “When you lose your sense of fear you’re free.” — John Lewis
32. “We must be headlights and not taillights.” — John Lewis
33. “You cannot be afraid to speak up and speak out for what you believe. You have to have courage, raw courage.” — John Lewis
34. “I want to see young people in America feel the spirit of the 1960s and find a way to get in the way. To find a way to get in trouble. Good trouble, necessary trouble.” — John Lewis
35. “I believe race is too heavy a burden to carry into the 21st century. It’s time to lay it down. We all came here in different ships, but now we’re all in the same boat.” — John Lewis
36. “If you are not hopeful and optimistic, then you just give up. You have to rake the long hard look and just believe that if you’re consistent, you will succeed.” — John Lewis
37. “Get in good trouble, necessary trouble, and help redeem the soul of America.” — John Lewis
38. “I believe that you see something that you want to get done, You can not give you, and you cannot give in.” — John Lewis
39. “Too many of us still believe our differences define us.” — John Lewis
40. “Faith is being so sure of what the spirit has whispered in your heart that your belief in its eventuality is unshakable.” — John Lewis
41. “We may not have chosen the time, but the time has chosen us.” — John Lewis
42. “I want to see young people in America feel the spirit of the 1960s and find a way to get in the way. To find a way to get in trouble. Good trouble, necessary trouble.” — John Lewis
43. “Rosa Parks inspired me to find a way to get in the way, to get in trouble… good trouble, necessary trouble.” — John Lewis
44. “I believe that you see something that you want to get done, you cannot give up, and you cannot give in.” — John Lewis
45. “Fury spends itself pretty quickly when there’s no fury facing it.” — John Lewis
46. “Get in good trouble, necessary trouble, and help redeem the soul of America.” — John Lewis
47. “We are one people, one family, the human family, and what affects one of us affects us all.” — John Lewis
48. “Martin Luther King Jr. said that peace is not the absence of tension, but the presence of justice.” — John Lewis
49. “There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.” — John Lewis
John Lewis is a source of inspiration for many entrepreneurs. He had a vision and pursued it relentlessly.
What’s your vision? How can you use the principles of entrepreneurship to achieve it? If you need help getting started, reach out to us.
We would be happy to share our expertise with you and help you turn your dreams into reality.
Are there any other quotes from John Lewis that have inspired or motivated you? Let us know in the comments below.
Sonia Allen has been a freelance content writer and a senior SEO and content marketing analyst at Digiexe, a digital marketing agency specializing in content and data-driven SEO. She has more than seven years of experience in internet marketing & affiliate marketing. She likes sharing her knowledge in a wide range of domains ranging from eCommerce, startups, social media marketing, making money online, affiliate marketing human capital management, and much more. She has been writing for several authoritative SEO, Make Money Online & digital marketing blogs on these authority websites like ImageStation.com, and Digiexe.com